Is Prospecting Letting You Down? Learn How to Do It Better Here!

Ask any salesperson and they will tell you they’ve heard of prospecting, but ask them how they prospect and you’ll get conflicting views.

Prospecting is one of the most important ways a business can get new customers and generate more sales. It is the art of starting relationships with prospects and maintaining them.

There are five main techniques used by salespeople to prospect:

  1. Cold calling. This is when you contact prospects without any previous connection or conversation with your company.
  2. These are people referred to you through other customers or prospects. This is a popular way for established salespeople to prospect.
  3. This involves getting to know people through events and seminars.
  4. Website contact forms. These are contact forms inserted into a web page to collect leads.
  5. Email campaigns. This is a direct mail that goes to the prospect with a follow up as well as interesting news.

Here are four tips for better prospecting:

Research

How many times did you receive a list or call sheet with incorrect information?

Calling a client by the wrong name or mispronouncing it happens often, but it can be avoided with proper research.

Verify any information you received with other information online, this can easily be done these days as everyone has some sort of online footprint.

Prospect Daily

The only way to be better at something is through regular practice. Also, you are never sure which day will be a good day for prospecting. If you do it daily it gives you a better chance of closing deals.

Set aside some time in your day for prospecting. Make sure there are no distractions to allow you to focus on this one goal.

My advice is to evaluate when you are the most alert during the day. If you’re a morning person, make sure to schedule your prospecting in the mornings.

Mix it up

Although many people believe you should use the technique that works for you, I believe you should mix it up. Here’s why:

If you’re good at cold calling you may mistakenly think it works for all prospects. But not all prospects are the same. Others might prefer emails as opposed to phone calls.

Rather schedule some time for all types of prospecting, with the majority of the time going to what works for you. Thus if you’re good at cold calling you can schedule 70% of your allocated time to that and then the remaining 30% to other techniques.

Don’t Use Scripts, But Practice!

Another reason people fail at prospecting is because they use the wrong language, tone and voice.

My advice is for you to start rehearsing – and by rehearsing I don’t mean scripts. Practice having a genuine conversation with a prospect and pay attention to what you’re saying.

Ask your colleagues or your boss for honest feedback on your language style, which should help you to improve as well.

Conclusion

Adhere to these tips and you’ll be well on your way to prospecting success.

Many companies have achieved great results by hiring a dedicated sales prospector whose entire role is making sure the pipeline is filled with sales-ready prospects.

If you would like the opportunity to do the same for your business, contact us today for a free consultation.

Free Ebook Download: 5 Easy Steps to Take Your Lead Generation to new Heights [DOWNLOAD NOW]

eBook-cover2-compressor